Proper nutrition can help children stay fit and prevent them from diseases. Eating the right food is essential for the growth and development of their body. It helps in the better functioning of the brain. Additionally, maintaining a healthy and nutritional diet can make them physically fit and improve the quality of life. According to the health experts, kids who eat foods having high nutritional value are active and intelligent as compared to the kids who do not eat foods with the right nutrition. The key to get the benefits of eating a healthy diet is communication and parents should explain their kids about the importance of maintaining a healthy diet. Not only children but also adults should maintain a healthy diet to keep illnesses at bay. Take a look at the following guidelines for healthy eating.
Men who want to have strong muscle should eat the right food for the growth and development of the muscles in their body. A well balanced diet comprises of the right amount of proteins, carbohydrate, vitamins, and minerals. Eating the right amount of carbohydrates and proteins helps the body gain energy and stay physically and mentally fit. Remembering these nutrients facts would always be helpful for you to be healthy and fit.
Healthy nutrition has several benefits such as:
- Proper nutrition is important for a glowing skin.
- A well balanced diet helps the body build muscles.
- Eating healthy food with high nutritional value can keep health problems away.
- Pregnant women are advised to eat healthy nutritious food for the healthy growth and development of the fetus.
Interesting Nutrition Facts for Kids:
These are units of energy that is essential for the proper functioning of the body. The amount of calories recommended for kids of 2-3 years is 1,000 to 1,400 calories, 4-8 years is 1,200-1,800 (girls) and 1,400-2,000 calories (boys).
Protein is essential for the body, as it helps in building the body cells, energy conversion, and carry oxygen. The amount of protein recommended for kids of 2-3 years is 5-20%, and 4-8 years is 25 to 35%.
Carbohydrates help in repairing the damaged cells. It also is an important source of energy. Parents are advised to provide 45 to 65% of carbohydrates to their kids.
Fiber is important for bowel regularity and regular intake of fiber can reduce the risk of heart attack. The amount of fiber that kids of 2-3 years should consume is 19 grams, and 4-8 years is 25 grams.
Calcium helps in building teeth and bones. This healthy nutrient is also important for blood clotting and the proper functioning of the heart. The amount of calcium that a kid of 2-3 years should consume is 500 milligrams whereas, kids of 4-8 years should consume 800 milligrams of calcium.
One of the best ways to learn the amount of nutrients present in the food is by reading the labels on the food products. It is good to consult a doctor to help you know the right amount of nutrition that you should give to your child.
Why is Nutrition Important for Adults:
Good nutrition can keep the body physically and mentally fit. It is advisable to eat healthy food to reduce the risk of diseases such as cancer, heart attack, which is common among adults. The “Nutrition Facts Label” concept designed by the FDA can help individuals know what is present in their food and beverages. Understanding this concept can help individual choose the right food and reduce the chances of certain diseases such as type2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity, high blood pressure, and much more. The pointers discussed below can help one learn the concept better.
- Serving Size:
Reading the serving size can help individuals know the number of servings in the package and these are given in specific measurements such as cups or pieces.
- Calories Content:
The calories list shows the amount of fat one would consume in one serving.
- Daily Value:
This section help individuals learn about the total amount of nutrients that they would consume in their daily diet.
It is important to learn that consuming excessive fat such as cholesterol, sodium, etc. can increase the risk of diseases.
Are you sure, you are eating the right food? Do you know the myths associated with nutrition? It is true that there are few myths related to nutrition that have remained etched in our mind but researchers have tried to debunk the associated myths with food and nutrition.
- Myth1: Carbohydrates are bad for the health and should be avoided.
- Truth: Carbohydrates provide fuel to the body and is a good source of energy. Additionally, carbohydrates have low calories but their association with sugar makes people believe that they are not good for the health. Carbohydrates such as whole grain, starch, etc. have less calories and good nutritional value. Knowing what you are eating can help you stay healthy and fit.
- Myth 2: Skipping meals for weight loss.
- Truth: People who skip meals especially breakfast are proven to gain more weight than those who eat breakfast regularly. This is because, their metabolism system becomes slow and they tend to eat during the odd times leading to weight gain.
- Myth 3: Eating fat free foods in large quantities.
- Truth: Many health experts believe that low fat free foods may not be completely free of calories. Moreover, when the fat is taken out, other nutrients such as sugar and carbohydrates are added to foods and beverages. Therefore, it is important to be careful to watch what you are eating.
- Myth 4: All Fats are bad for the health:
- Truth: Like nutrients, fats are important and useful for our body too. Although, eating saturated fats is unhealthy for the body but taking the right amount of fat can help in the proper functioning of the brain and the building of the cell membranes. Make sure to consume fat in moderation to avoid weight gain.
- Myth 5: Avoid Eating Dairy Products.
- Truth: Dairy products such as milk are important for the development of bones and muscles. Besides this, many dairy products contain vitamin D, which helps the body gain energy and strength.
- Myth 6: Eating late at night leads to weight gain.
- Truth: According to researchers, it hardly matters when one eats but what matters is what and how much he or she eats. Moreover, regular exercise can help an individual maintain the right weight and shed the additional calories in their body.
- Myth 7: Exercise is not important with proper intake of food.
- Truth: Exercising regularly helps in increasing the muscles and reduces the fat stored in the body. There are other health benefits of exercising regularly and one should not forget to exercise at the right time every day.
Calorie counter does exactly do what it sounds like i.e. it helps in tracking the calories present in the body. Using a calorie counter can help individuals know the amount of calories to be burnt for maintaining a healthy weight. To get appropriate results from the calorie counter, it is important to enter the right weight, height, and age to know the fat percentage and the calories burnt by the body. However, a calorie counter may not help one to know the amount of calories consumed in a day. Searching the web can help individuals find a free online calorie counter to plan, asses, and track their diet.
More on Nutrition:
Health experts recommend eating fresh vegetables in plenty because of their high nutritional value and for helping individuals maintain a healthy diet. To get the required amount of nutrients, individuals are advised to consume at least 9 to 13 servings of vegetables. Moreover, they are known for low calories and aid weight loss. The tips discussed below can provide more nutritional information on vegetables.
- Vegetable have rich source of vitamins, which boosts the immune system, improves vision, and helps in growth of the bones and muscles.
- Vegetables have antioxidant properties, which prevents the growth of free radicals and protects the body from several diseases such as cancer, premature aging, etc.
- Vegetables contain low calories. For example, one cup of celery contains 16 calories. It is advisable to include vegetables in meals to get the right amount of nutrients that the body needs.
- Eating vegetables regularly can help individuals deal with constipation and bloating, as they contain fiber and water. Therefore, change your eating habits by eating vegetables every day.
Calorie in Food:
The key to lose weight is to burn more calories than we consume. The list below describes the low calorie foods that can be helpful in shedding the additional calories.
Low Calorie Vegetables:
- Boiled Potatoes
- Red Peppers
Low Calorie Fruits:
Low Calorie Meat and Animal Products:
- Canadian Bacon
- Ground Turkey
- White Eggs
- Low Fat Cheese